RE: About Themes for Fake Names

Subject: RE: About Themes for Fake Names
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:04:41 -0400

Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com> wrote:

>Be careful about using celebrity names or other famous names. I've been
>advised by our legal department NOT to use these names and have had to
>change many screenshots.

Oh man, that's so Mickey Mouse! <g> [For those who don't get the joke, Disney is famous for aggressively suing people over the use of their characters.]

Here's a thought: Why don't we create an OFFICIAL TECHWR-L LIST OF FAKE NAMES for the use of anyone who wants it. This could include parodied famous names (US courts have held that parodies are protected; I don't know how well this hold up internationally); volunteered--and released--names of actual techwrlers (for those who seek cheap fame); parodied names of famous ex-techwrlers; add your own category here.