Re(2): Of myth and reality

Subject: Re(2): Of myth and reality
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 20:08:15 +0200

> It was a single application from the user's perspective,
>though it was bigger, always contained dead code, and wasn't guaranteed to
>work the same on both platforms because the code was maintained separately.

No, the code was not maintained separately. Almost all developers who
used it maintained one code base and simply compiled twice.

>Despite Apple's assurances it was very easy to implement, I gather it was a
>pain in the neck, and it's not missed.

Wrong again. First of all, there still are fat applications around.
Secondly, the reasons that their number has dwindled (after eight years)
are that

- there aren't many 680x0 Macs around anymore

- many many operating system features are supported only on PowerPC
processors, which is why most current versions of software do not work on
680x0 processors - hence no great need for fat binaries anymore

It wasn't especially difficult to maintain a fat binary.

>To me, that's not single-sourcing,

That could be because you seem to have inaccurate conceptions of what fat
binaries are and how they are created.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de