Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: gururaj bs <gururaj_bs -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:19:26 +0100 (BST)

I agree with Tom. English language rules are dynamic
and prose not conforming to them.

I think instead of phrasing your question as "Things
not to put after a full stop", you should have written
"words not used to begin a sentence". I hope it makes

you said, words like "And", "because", "but" should
not be used to begin a sentence. In simpler words, it
means, do not start a sentence with conjunctions.

What say?

--- Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote: >
> Mark,
> I'm afraid I won't be of much help to you, either.
> <g> Way back in the '80s, I
> taught English Composition at a major state
> university here in the U.S. One of the
> early exercises I did was to invite the class to
> give me all the 'rules' of writing
> they had been taught to that point. Invariably, in
> 50 minutes I would fill a wall of
> blackboards with all sorts of pseudo-rules like that
> which you mentioned in your
> original post.
> English is a very flexible language. No doubt the
> determined researcher will find
> text supporting one or another (or several) rules of
> things one should not do in
> English when writing. But the truth is that there
> are very few hard, fast rules, and
> you can find sterling examples of English prose that
> violates the so-called rules.
> =====
> Tom Murrell

Want to sell your car? advertise on Yahoo Autos Classifieds. It's Free!!

Re: Things not to put after a full stop.: From: Tom Murrell