Re: Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be TWs.

Subject: Re: Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be TWs.
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

Michelle,

On a job search, put not your eggs in one basket. I would never recommend stopping a
search because you get called in for an interview or while you wait for a decision
from a hiring organization. Keep peddling your resume, networking, applying for
positions and going to interviews.

You are right that different organizations take different amounts of time to make
decisions. Often those who take the longest lose out on the best candidates because
those candidates are not waiting around. I certainly think that after a month, you
could contact them back and remind them of your interest. (I could also make a case
for saying that if you haven't heard back by now, they're not interested. But you
did say it's a university; perhaps they don't need anyone until the Autumn academic
year begins.)

As to the worth of someone with your credentials, that is still going to depend on
geographical location, industry in which you work, your negotiating skills, your
employer's negotiating skills, (and perhaps the phase of the moon). I usually check
the larger job boards to see what's on offer in the postings. Also, find out what
Agencies are charging (take between 1/2 and 1/3 of that and figure it as what
they're paying), and even check the STC salary profile that comes out annually.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 07/19/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are mine...at least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

http://health.yahoo.com