Re: Certificate Authority Services

Subject: Re: Certificate Authority Services
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:09:37 -0400

Pegasus Writer wrote:
> ... Can anyone point me to a Web site - perhaps more than one -
> that provides some sort of list of Certificate Authority+ Services? ...
> For what it's worth, I need this information for a manual for a new product
> that requires the customer to purchase and install an X.509 Version 3
> Digital Certificate. They can use any CA Service Company they choose, but I
> would like to tell there where/how to look for one.

Do you need to cover how to decide if the ones you find are trustworthy?
I would think so, and also that it might be hard.

Early this year, someone managed to get a cert from their
vendor by clever lying in a phone call. It was several months before
this was detected. I'd bet large amounts that that vendor has since
tightened up their phone procedures. However, I would not be confident
that there are no other holes for an EvilDoer to exploit.

As for Bob's Bait, Tackle and X.509 Shop, why should I imagine they are

Also, if they can use any company they choose, how can you validate
the cert? Do you just automatically trust whoever they choose?

Or will you have a list of trusted companies? If so, how do you handle
updates to that list (especially, how do you revoke if something awful
happens at one company?), and what happens if a customer wants to use
a company that is not on your list?

> Appreciate any suggestions.

I don't know how much it will help. but you might look at the docs for
the X.509 patches for the Linux FreeS/WAN IPsec implementation:

I don't know if they cover installing purchased certs. Certainly they
cover generating your own.

They use certificate management code from OpenSSL. There might also be
info you could use at is a VPN vendors consortium. Since many of those products
use certs, they might have a list.

Certificate Authority Services: From: Pegasus Writer