Jobs in Japan (was Re: Osaka-ben)

Subject: Jobs in Japan (was Re: Osaka-ben)
From: Sandy Harris <pashley -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:33:35 -0400

Has anyone got leads on tech writing or editing jobs in
Japan, for someone who does not speak Japanese (yet)?

My feet are somewhat itchy; I feel like travelling again.
Japan is the top of my list of places to go.

20 years ago I was an English teacher in the Middle East.
Likely I could get an ESL job in Japan, since I have both
training and experience. For that matter, I've done some
computer training too.

However, I'd rather stick with technical writing, which
is what I've been doing for most of the last dozen years.

My specialty is Unix and network security. My most recent
contract was the docs at: http://www.freeswan.org/doc.html
However, I have some clue about most software problems and
some hardware issues, and can be flexible about what I
work on.

Pointers, anyone?

Others considering this might look at the JET (Japan
Exchange and Teaching) program, sponsored by their
Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/jet/index.html

I'm past 40 so disqualified, but it looks like a good
program for the younger set.