Re: Salary Advice

Subject: Re: Salary Advice
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:41:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Anthony <anthony_colello -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> Local permanent position came open that they called
> about interviewing me for. The HR representative
> asked me openly about salary on the phone call before
> we even set up the interview. It is paying in the
> $39,000 to $49,000 range annually. Significantly
> below what I have seen offered for my experience.
> Do you think it might be possible to push them into
> the low $60K range give my experience or should I just
> let it go professionally and leave the door open as
> the company is one I would love to work for in the
> future if this didn't work out?

Anthony, in both my experience and opinion there is no way they'll move from $49K to
$60K. In fact, if they say that's the range, then I'll just about guarantee that
they don't expect to bring anyone in for more than about $44K. Either they are
bargain hunting (trying to get a higher skill set and experience than they want to
pay for) or the REAL job is a lot less than what they are advertising. (I've been
there and seen that.)

I would take the interview if it's not going to upset them that you will not be
getting together on money. If it upsets them, you're odds of getting a job later at
a salary you like will not be enhanced.

Good Luck!

Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - Last Updated 07/19/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

Do You Yahoo!?

Salary Advice: From: Anthony