Salary Advice

Subject: Salary Advice
From: Anthony <anthony_colello -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:14:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a variety of writing and illustration
on a consulting basis for the past 4 1/2 years and
permanent for about 5 years before that.

Local permanent position came open that they called
about interviewing me for. The HR representative
asked me openly about salary on the phone call before
we even set up the interview. It is paying in the
$39,000 to $49,000 range annually. Significantly
below what I have seen offered for my experience.

When I asked if the department or manager involved
might consider a boost given my experience she
indicated that it was out of her jurisdiction as the
department set the pay grade for the position. It
sounded like a dodge to me.

As we left it she set up a telephone screen in a
couple of days and asked me to read the full job
description and let her know if I was still interested
given the salary range. While we talked I discovered
I had not been given the full description...I got the
lead through a networking contact.

My first instinct is to go ahead and interview for the
position and see if I can even get an offer and then
try and leverage them higher. Then again, the HR reps
open and honest approach makes me feel like this might
not be taken very kindly and close the door to future
employment with them.

Do you think it might be possible to push them into
the low $60K range give my experience or should I just
let it go professionally and leave the door open as
the company is one I would love to work for in the
future if this didn't work out?

Thoughts?

- Anthony

http://health.yahoo.com