Re: Got resume advice? Long but terribly important (to me anyway)!

Subject: Re: Got resume advice? Long but terribly important (to me anyway)!
From: "Michael Collier" <michael -dot- collier -at- mail -dot- dss -dot- mil>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:12:52

> How do I make it clear that I wanna be a worker bee - but that I
> would be the best darned worker bee he ever hired?

It seems to me the key thing to emphasize for what you are going for at
this point in your career is your years of experience as a tech writer.

I would eliminate all (or at least most of) the software engineering buzz
and jargon from your resume and get back to the basics: that you are
proficient in the essential tools an experienced tech writer is expected to
know (Word, Office, Frame, etc.) and you know how to write.

The buzz words are getting you lots of monster.com (etc.) hits from the
employer end, so a new resume should eliminate a lot of that. With a
stripped-down, back-to-basics resume you'll encounter more competition but
when you follow-up and interview, you should emphasize your experience.

monster.com, etc. may not be the best means for job searching for you right
now; you may want to consider some of the old-fashioned methods of
networking and distributing your resume, so you end up with more face-facoe
contacts in your local area (job networking clubs, etc.)

Good luck

Michael Collier
DSS Baltimore Operations
michael -dot- collier -at- mail -dot- dss -dot- mil
(Yeah, moved again)