Alternative to 'Click on...' for visually impaired

Subject: Alternative to 'Click on...' for visually impaired
From: "Burnett S M (ISeLS)" <sburnett -at- glam -dot- ac -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:44:26 +0100

Hi, all

Big adventure - my first time entering a chat-room environment.

There was much correspondence some weeks ago about whether to use 'Click...'
or 'Click on...' for instructions.

My problem is a little different - in building our website of academic
courses (here at the University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK), accessibility is a
key issue. We need an alternative phrasing for 'Click/Click on' which will
be suitable both for the sighted user and for the visually impaired user who
may be relying on a screen reading programme such as SuperNova.

Examples include:

Click on this link to go to the xxxx website.

Click here for more information on xxxxx.

Click on this link to open the Word document.

Click to start the [multimedia] presentation.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem? and how did you solve it?

Sue Burnett
Production Editor
Enterprise College Wales
University of Glamorgan