RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:51:34 -0700

I almost disagree. We never purchase our computers from a major vendor. I
have a PC Club here in town from which we get all our computers. They know
us, they have worked miracles - for example, on a crash and burn fast
project, we needed a 2000 box NOW. None of the older machines we had could
run 2000. They put together a machine and installed 2000 in under 3 hours,
at a great price. I love them.

Building your own computer is a great way to start to understand what your
computer does and how. I prefer writers who can build their own boxes, as
they generally understand what is happening in the box. They tend to not
autistically reinstall stuff when they run into problems, as they grasp what
the problem might be and what to really do. They grasp client technology
better, because they have a better understanding of what this stuff all
does.

Writers don't have to always build their own, but when a hard drive goes, it
is nice when they know what to do to fix it, instead of having to take it to
the shop and wait a week for the shop to put a new hard drive in.

I tell my students to build one or 2. It makes a big difference in your
technical knowledge overall.

I need more coffee.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin