Definition List Pointers

Subject: Definition List Pointers
From: "Heil,Polly,EAU CLAIRE,Finance" <polly -dot- heil -at- us -dot- nestle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:20:56 -0700

After running through approx. 3 years of revisions on 1000+ documents, our
Document Control recently decided to implement a centralized definition
list. This works fine in theory but what we are really look for is a way to
share this information that allows all potential "authors" of SOPs access to
the information at the time they are writing the SOP. Our chosen tool for
publishing documents is Microsoft Word (currently 2K); please no suggestions
to change this because it won't happen. We have already developed a
database to maintain the definition list and publish it on web pages. I
understand AUTOTEXT and some of the related items; however, I haven't come
up with an easy way to share this information among users.

I told the Document Control group that unless I (designated Word Expert) can
find a better solution, the best option is to have these people copy the
needed information from the HTML page and paste it into Word. However,
their wish list is for something more automated.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will work in a paper-based system?
(All our SOPs are distributed to binders in the appropriate areas; this also
will not change anytime soon.)

TIA for any assistance anyone can offer.

Polly Ann Heil
Change Mgmt Analyst
Nestlé USA - Eau Claire, WI
"Change is the handmaiden Nature requires to do her miracles with." -
Roughing It by Mark Twain