Re: upgrade fears

Subject: Re: upgrade fears
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:56:59 -0700

Al Friend wrote:

I'm getting this sinking feeling that my arm will soon be twisted to
upgrade from my W98 box, which I'm used to despite its foibles.

Is there anything you can't do with your present setup that you need to do? If not, why upgrade at all?

Given the ever-diminishing advantages of most upgrades, and some of the restrictive licensing schemes that are being imposed, there are not only few advantages to upgrading, but some distinct disadvantages as well.

The days of automatically upgrading are over. An increasing number of companies have settled on particular versions of software because they've discovered the workarounds, and aren't eager to start the process all over again for no good reason. According the last figures I heard, slightly less than a third of companies are resisting upgrades, and another third are casting about for alternatives.

"O the island of
Haiku is seventeen syl
lables long; doo dah."
- Les Barker