RE: Question about graphics - PDF, HTML

Subject: RE: Question about graphics - PDF, HTML
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:40:25 -0400

::: The process (don't ask me to justify it, I inherited this
::: from a previous company, didn't want to mess with what
::: seemed to work) is to take a screen shot (SnagIt) at 600
::: dpi, save it as a GIF, import into Frame at 600 dpi and
::: then scale it up 350%.

LOL! It's 96dpi... Now 600... Now 96... Now 600... And now freakin' huge
too! *LOL* Who invented this process? A GIF at 600dpi is the same as a
GIF at 96 dpi.

::: They turn out tolerably crisp in
::: PDFs. Recently we've expanded our workflow to include HTML
::: for some documents, and the graphics are quite poor - they
::: look as bad as or worse than they do in Frame. Screen shots
::: taken at low resolution (72) seem to make good HTML pages
::: but are far too large in Frame, and any down-scaling
::: introduces blurriness again.

You should read Sean Brierley's paper on screen captures here on the

::: Rather than change settings at random and see which ones
::: might improve things, I thought I would ask this august
::: company if you have solved similar problems in the past?
::: Presumably the matter is a simple one created by my own
::: ignorance of graphics formats.

Read Sean's paper. :)

Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

Question about graphics - PDF, HTML: From: Stevenson, Rebecca