RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:37:35 -0700 (PDT)

Shouldn't this discussion be weighted against who you are interviewing for? I mean, if I have a bunch of docs I wrote for a phone company does it really matter if I show them to an insurance company? Even if there is proprietary information in the phone docs, will the insurance people care/understand what they're reading? I don't mean to be flippant about nondisclosure agreements and proprietary information, this is just for discussion. But don't such agreements generally state that you aren't going to go to a _competitor_ with that info and give it to them to use?

I can see a problem if you are interviewing for a competitor, and I'd limit what I showed the competitor to make sure I wasn't revealing anything that would give them an unfair advantage in the marketplace(because when it comes right down to it, I'm pretty loyal to the companies I work for).

As far as requiring interviewees to produce written proof that their samples were permitted....come on.... You've got to be kidding. What about those people that have verbal agreement? What if someone got verbal agreement from an employer that is no longer in business?

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with email -at- yourgroup -dot- org by Everyone.net http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com