RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: letoured -at- together -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 19:30:02 -0400

In <CAFAAEC91CC8D511952000062938C6F133A91C -at- ozlan -dot- fcdomain -dot- net>, on 08/02/02
at 09:01 AM, "Foster, Willow" <Wfoster -at- friedmancorp -dot- com> said:

>~> From: letoured -at- together -dot- net [mailto:letoured -at- together -dot- net]
>~> In <IBEGKJOOJHDEMLIEEPLAGEMNCKAA -dot- edmanley -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, on ~> 08/01/02
>at 04:08 PM, "Ed Manley" <edmanley -at- bellsouth -dot- net> said: ~> >I simply cannot
>understand so many writers wanting to reuse ~> >proprietary documents. You
>are WRITERS - WRITE SOMETHING!
>~> >End of rant
>~> >Ed
>~>
>~> Because sometimes writers actually have to know something -- and the ~>
>interviewing employer wants to see what you actually did
>~> over at GM or GE or Delta, because it is that experience they ~> are
>hiring you for!

>If I was interviewing for a job looking for experience in a particular field
>(in my case manufacturing) and did not have permission to use a sample, I
>would still be able to use my general knowledge to produce something decent.
>I agree with Ed.

Well I guess we're talking about different things. If I was being interviewed
by Westinghouse and they wanted me to write inspection and overhaul procedures
for their gas turbines, and asked to see what I wrote for GE on their gas
turbines -- they would think I was an idiot for showing made up stuff, since
it would tell them absolutely nothing.

Rephrased; They want to know how someone works on the problems, and how
thorough they are. That isn't going to be seen in something made up.

There are industries where people have integrity. Looking at something
propriety in an interview, is not the same as giving it to a competitor and
the point is well understood.

letoured -at- together -dot- net

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com