RE: How to get a job in these challenging times

Subject: RE: How to get a job in these challenging times
From: "Klasovsky, Nick" <nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:19:47 -0400

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

How true, Andrew. I especially like the following paragraphs:

"3. Which leads to the next point. Different skills are in demand. The
ability to
write and format text are not particularly valuable skills. The ability to
understand technology at a very deep level and explain that technology to
is in demand."

"3. Spin those skills. Acquire an expertise that is in demand. &#34;Hi I am
technical writer&#34; is the kiss of death among technical people. But
&#34;Hi, I
am technical author who specializes in documenting complex Oracle database
systems&#34; will resonate with folks (especially Oracle developers). I
tell you how many program managers, executives, and IT directors I meet who
complete disdain for technical writers. But they will respect a person who
has a
solid set of specialized skills. Just make sure you specialize in something
people want."

No doubt you will be flogged and shunned by those who hold the opposite
view. I believe, like you, that those who have the ability to learn and
understand a technology, specialize in one or two fields, and spend time
honing both their technical and communications skills are the ones who not
only remain employed but earn the respect of those outside the technical
communications field. The rest just give us a bad reputation.

Nick Klasovsky
nklasovsky -at- nordson -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com