Re: "Obvious" warnings - drawing the line

Subject: Re: "Obvious" warnings - drawing the line
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:02:58 -0400

letoured -at- together -dot- net wrote:

> The answer is not that complicated. -- The general rule is simple;
>
> If doing something or not doing it can lead to an injury or death, it gets a
> warning. If doing something or not doing it can lead to equipment damage, it
> gets a caution note. And if there is something that isn't part of a step or
> sequence, but useful to the user, it gets an advisory note -- especially if
> the lack of the information could lead to an action that would call for a
> warning or caution at a later point in the procedure.
>
> Think "root cause" for general guidance; If the worse happened, could one
> element of prevention be traced back to the lack of a warning, caution or
> note. If so, it needs one of them.

Not quite that simple. would you include a warning on every coil of rope
not to tie a loop around your neck when standing on a ladder. I know
someone who, before he went on a roof, tied a length of rope around his
waist and anchored the other end to the bumper of his truck. He climbed
on the roof and his wife then drove the truck away. Would you put a
complimentary warning on the truck bumper. "Caution, anchoring a rope to
this bumper which is tied to your waist could cause serious injury if
you go on a roof."

--
Peter

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a
minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute-and it's
longer than any hour. That's relativity,"
- Einstein-

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com