Re: Average hours worked

Subject: Re: Average hours worked
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:22:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> > I am the kind of person who simply isn't happy if I
> > am bored. I need to be
> > constantly working on something. Improving
> > something, fixing something, etc. I am
> > fortunate that my career is doing just that. So to
> > me, working 80 hours a week
> > isn't a problem - its fun.
>
> I can respect your personal preferences, but not
> everyone is like you. Just as there are those like
> you, there are others who like to have nights and
> weekends to just laze about and putter around. There
> are others still who don't like being bored, but find
> non-work things to keep them busy, like concerts,
> trips, errands, family, friends, and hobbies. No one
> outlook is better than another. But this is wandering
> from the issue of mandatory overtime.

No it isn't. You're asking all companies to base work requirements off your
personal preferences. But as we have just shown, there are differences in how
people work. Therefore, why is it fair to base all work expectations off what
some people like. There are plenty of people who can get a job done very well in
40 hrs per week.

If it takes you 50 hrs to do the same amount of work it takes another person 40
hrs, then clearly it is better to hire the person who works faster. Because they
won't complain after a month or so about how much overtime they are working.

Hence, if you are working a lot of overtime, you need to ask yourself if this is
self-inflicted or if you truly are being asked to work more than is possible. I
would bet that a fair amount of people who claim they are suffering from too much
overtime are suffering because they're too busy complaining about being
overworked and not getting their job done so they can go home.

Andrew Plato

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com