Re: Average hours worked

Subject: Re: Average hours worked
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

> For some of us, our life is our work. The two are
> intimately intertwined. And we
> like it that way.
>
> I am the kind of person who simply isn't happy if I
> am bored. I need to be
> constantly working on something. Improving
> something, fixing something, etc. I am
> fortunate that my career is doing just that. So to
> me, working 80 hours a week
> isn't a problem - its fun.

I can respect your personal preferences, but not
everyone is like you. Just as there are those like
you, there are others who like to have nights and
weekends to just laze about and putter around. There
are others still who don't like being bored, but find
non-work things to keep them busy, like concerts,
trips, errands, family, friends, and hobbies. No one
outlook is better than another. But this is wandering
from the issue of mandatory overtime.

> Again - if you draw a thick black line between work
> and not-work - then you're
> going to live a life of tension between the two. I
> used to. Then I allowed the
> two to just melt into each other. Now, there is no
> fundamentally difference
> between work and life for me. They are the same. I
> love what I do, and I love
> doing it. So its not really work to me anymore. Its
> life.

Some people need the thick black line. Some can't be
happy without it.

<avoiding the Communism comments>

> Furthermore, our entire economy is based on small,
> dynamic businesses.

But not everyone works for them (well, maybe nowadays
after all that's been going on *g*). Even within these
small businesses you'll find a mix of people, from
overtimers to clock punchers. The real issue is what
these people do with their time, whether or not they
are adding value, and whether or not they are happy.

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com