Views on overtime - summary

Subject: Views on overtime - summary
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:25:14 -0700

Last week, I suggested that younger, single, or more inexperienced writers are more likely to be willing to work over time, and older,attached more experienced writers are less likely.

Eleven people responded on or off list to the comment. Obviously, it didn't exactly strike a chord in list-members, but I thought I'd summarize all the same.

Of those who responded, 9 who characterized themselves as older, attached and/or experienced more or less wrote that they had no trouble with occasional overtime or compensated overtime, but disliked regular, uncompensated overtime. 1 expressed no objection, but didn't elaborate.

Only 1 was self-characterized as single. This person expressed the same reservations as most of the others.

Although the sample was too small to be accurate, it suggests that half of my generalization (or stereotype,if you prefer) might be true. However, since only 1 person fell into the categories of younger, single, or inexperienced, I still have no idea whether that half is true or not.

"To Newgate Gaol they took him, the Ranter's dream was dead,
He had no taste for martyrdom; 'I will recant,' he said,
'I banished sin, but I have erred, it cannot be denied
'That these are sin: greed, tyranny, hypocrisy and pride.'"
- Leon Rosselson, "Abezier Coppe"

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com