RE: Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, Doc To Help, or AuthorIT???

Subject: RE: Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, Doc To Help, or AuthorIT???
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:59:36 -0700

CDaniel -at- automatedlogic -dot- com wrote:

| Help! Our documentation group is switching from ForeHelp to
| new software. We have been evaluating RoboHelp, Doc To Help,
| AuthorIT - even Dreamweaver. (I have searched the archives,
| but haven't pulled up anything on this specific issue yet...)

I would suggest that you add WebWorks Publisher WordHelp to your list of
candidates. WordHelp is a new product from Quadralay that brings the
functionality of WebWorks Publisher to Microsoft Word users. You author
in Microsoft Word and use WordHelp to generate output in four popular
formats: HTML Help, WinHelp, WebWorks Help (cross-browser HTML), and
JavaHelp.

| We definitely need conditional text!

WordHelp adds full support for conditional text to Microsoft Word.

| We are even considering Dreamweaver, with Deva, due to the graphics in
our
| help files. (Last year we inserted screenshots in all procedures and
some
| overview topics.)
|
| Anyway, we can't find what we think we need. Any opinions? The
companies
| have replied and told us various ways of handling the conditional
text,
| but none seem to work as well as ForeHelp's. These conditionalized
links
| (words, not paragraphs) are scattered throughout the text.
|
| We also need to be able to generate manuals from it. Hopefully,
easily.
| Ha!

I don't see how you'll be able to generate manuals at all using
Dreamweaver or easily using RoboHelp, but you can certainly do so with
WordHelp. Check out our WordHelp page for more information, including
actual output samples:
http://www.knopf.com/consulting/tools/wordhelp.html

HTH,

David Knopf / Knopf Online / San Francisco, CA
mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com / http://www.knopf.com

Consulting & Training on FrameMaker, WebWorks Publisher & WordHelp
Consulting & Training on RoboHelp
WebWorks Publisher Certified
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wordhelp & wwp-users