Re: ZIP efficiency and file size, Doc vs. PDF

Subject: Re: ZIP efficiency and file size, Doc vs. PDF
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:53:07 -0500

In our previous episode at 03:37 PM 8/16/02, Richard G. Combs wrote:

I've observed the same thing. It seems to vary some from printer to printer,
suggesting that the RIP enters into it (our Sharp network
copier/printer/toaster is way slower than the HP). But, all else being
equal, on any given printer, the PDF seems to print far more slowly than the
doc from which it was created. Even though the PDF is much smaller than the
PostScript file being sent to the printer (the source file size is
irrelevant).

Any other ideas on why this is so?

In my experience, the printer driver matters. Printing a PDF using a PostScript printer driver is almost always faster than using a PCL printer driver. I always assumed that the PCL driver was printing as a graphic and that caused the speed drop, but I don't know that that's actually true.

And printing a PDF using a PostScript driver (to a PostScript printer, natch) is about as fast as printing the original document.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"I make mistakes, but I am on the side of Good, ... by accident and happenstance."

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com