Re: How often is your resume read on job boards?

Subject: Re: How often is your resume read on job boards?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:11:05 -0400

Keith, Amy, Marguerite, Anon in NY, and Jane,

I think the program I was in (and that Amy was in) was quite good, actually.
My initial post last night (early this morning) was just "one of those
things".

Up until today, I have been this kind of technical writer:

1. I learn a technology, a computer application, a logical system (such as a
call-routing algorithm).

2. I explain it to people who need to use it to accomplish a task.

At the two software companies at which I have worked, I did not walk in as
capable of understanding the technology in use, but whenever I needed to
explain it, I learned it. At PTC, I found that as an editor I needed to know
how a feature worked, for example, and what its larger purpose was so that I
could spot the small thing in a Help topic that might confuse a reader--or
even spot outright errors. As both a writer and editor at Artisoft, I
learned the technical things that system administrators needed to know, and
I explained them to those users. Unless you're getting down to the
foundation of any technology, it seems to me that there's nothing all that
difficult about learning it. I just needed to *want* to learn it -- and I
did. So, I am not technology-averse, by any means. I love it, in fact. But I
don't walk into a company with a mental briefcase of expertise. It seems
that *that* is what companies want now.

I might expand on this later, but I just wanted to quickly say that I agree
with all of you, especially Amy. The graduate program I was in was
excellent, in fact. But the fact I was addressing is that if I were an API
writer, a pharmaceuticals industry writer, a networking writer, or a
programmer, I'd be employed right now.

In another week, unemployment comes to a screeching halt. I suppose that I
allowed myself a little self-pity, and I probably did so because I knew that
you all have an abundance of understanding.

I don't feel robbed at all. I wasn't lying when I said it, and I am not
back-pedaling now. You understand, don't you?

About a month ago I took an editing test for a continuing legal education
place here in Boston. I heard not a peep from them. <sigh> I've been
applying all over the country, and have heard virtually nothing from anyone,
except places that want to sell me something.

I work on my Web site (thanks, Keith) and scour the Web for things that will
show a prospective employer that they *need* someone like me. I am actually
not feeling at all sorry for myself. I know the economy will turn around.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But please be clear -- the graduate program I was in
was quite excellent, and I am not at all sorry that I went or that I hocked
the farm to go.

I've been so good at being strong (unemployment is not the only problem I
have, LOL), and last night was an aberration. I hope that my lapse didn't
embarrass any of you too much!!

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com