Re: For a friend, what is...

Subject: Re: For a friend, what is...
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:09:53 -0600

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:
> We have no idea.

Googling on TSO/ISPF turned up this as the first hit:

There's an FAQ and a Glossary. From the latter:

Interactive System Productivity Facility. Menu and screen management system
that has only ever been popular on z/OS TSO, but has been offered, at one
time or another, on VSE/ESA ICCF and z/VM CMS(1). There have also been both
IBM and non-IBM workstation versions. And even a (non-IBM) Unix version.
Though, arguably, they mainly concentrated on providing the PDF(1)
component. ISPF first saw the light of day in 1974 as SPF. Provides
facilities for developing and running menu-driven dialog systems on 3270
terminals and, more recently, workstations. ISPF services can be accessed
using WSP/2. ISPF is an element of z/OS. See also ISPF/PDF.

Time Sharing Option. These days, everyone just says TSO when they mean
TSO/E. Back in the 1980s, TSO was included with MVS/XA and you had to pay
extra for TSO/E. Well worth the money given that TSO left you stranded below
the 16MB line.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet

Get details and download free trial versions at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com