RE: Appropriate Technology?

Subject: RE: Appropriate Technology?
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:14:15 -0700

Sandra Charker is involved in setting up a mid-sized intranet site in support
of a very large IT project for a government department.

Your programmer is a bone head. Now that that is out of the way, we can continue.

A few years ago I was involved in a similar project for the D.O.E. We used pdfs rather than HTML files because some of the material was also burnt to CDs for distribution to those without access to the intranet.

My suggestion is keep it simple -- KISS is still a valuable design principle.

If one of your docs is revised, keep the revised page names the same as the original. This way there will be less maintenance required on the index page(s) and links. Show revision number and date on the doc, if needed. If you need to keep the old version for historical purposes or whatever bureaucratic purposes that government managers dream up, move the old doc to a directory/folder named "superceeded docs", or words to that effect.

On your opening page, make to links "English" and "Espanol" or whatever language you are using. Make a separate directory tree for each language. They don't need to be linked to each other.

My curmudgeonly $0.02

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.