RE: Re- Do I have a right to feel POed??

Subject: RE: Re- Do I have a right to feel POed??
From: "Manley Clifford (GFD1CEM)" <GFD1CEM -at- ups -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:09:51 -0400

Interesting topic. I am disabled to a certain extent, having lost a leg a
couple of years ago. For reasons too boring to go into I can't use a
prosthesis, so I use a wheelchair to get around the office and crutches to
enter/leave the building. As a contractor I have worked for a lot of folks
in many environments - but the gig I am on is the first one to be a problem.

When I took the contract I didn't mention being in a wheelchair - since it's
never been an issue, but when I got here my office was up 38 stairs!

These folks went into scramble mode and found an accessable office space,
separate from the rest of the team, and are coming to me for meetings
instead of me to them.

That kind of treatment will guarantee appeciation from any
employee...certainly I will always appreciate them for it - since I am an
hourly sub-contractor they could very well have said "Sorry - no can do".

Ed

In a message dated 8/26/02 5:51:41 AM Mountain Standard Time,
isis -dot- erb -at- ipc -dot- com writes:

> You can't make a blanket statement like that and then expect people to
> accept it as OK simply because you place a contradictory apology after
> it. You are doing just as much damage to disabled folks as someone
> who would make the same statement without the disclaimer apology. And
> you are perpetuating the belief that disabled folks can't work, or
> work consistently. We may need some different considerations but our
disabilities
> in no way impair the quality of our work.

Some disabled people can't work efficently, depending on the job. You can't
claim that all disabled people are equal, either. Add the fact that some
need
to take time off for medical care, or some require special accomodations
that
are impossible to install, and there is some merit to the idea that in some
cases, they can't work.

I believe that they should be given a chance.

We had a large parts area above the production floor. This place was
impossible to fit with a ramp. We had a training room with no access for
wheelchairs. We tried to accomodate them, but it was darn near impossible at

times.

Bob

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com