Re: Kamikaze manuals

Subject: Re: Kamikaze manuals
From: Shlomo Ramon <ramsol -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:46:00 -0700

Subject: Techwriting history
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:58:42 +0100

Here's a chilling example of techwriting from the 1940s -
excerpts from the official Kamikaze manual:,3604,778587,00.html
(link will probably expire within a few days)

Some techwriting tie ins:

-Ammunition for advocating the importance of documentation: "Even
Kamikaze pilots needed manuals!"

-The "Do I have to know the material debate"?: This is an
effective manual created by somebody who neither carried out the
procedure, nor had access to SMEs with experience of it (for obvious

Kind of puts things in perspective

No need to go back as far 1940, currently written terror guides can be
found easily on the Arab language versions of Hamas, Islamic Jihad or
Hezbollah web sites. The English versions are intended for other
audiences, therefore do not contain any of the very detailed and
illustrated modern professional guides on most topics of weapons of
terror against civilians. The writers do have access to well trained

At least the Kamikaze pilots wore uniforms and were attacking only
military targets...

Get details and download free trial versions at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com