Re: FWD: You will be assimilated...now what?

Subject: Re: FWD: You will be assimilated...now what?
From: rbilbao -at- us -dot- amadeus -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:30:50 -0400

Anon said:

Whatever happens, I would assume that upon the two companies joining,
there will be some shaking out, and elimination of redundant positions.
If any of you have been in this situation, I'd be interested to hear your
experience, and perhaps your hindsight. Are there things you can do to
try to enhance your job security? Are there things you wish you had
handled differently?

A few years ago my American company merged with a global company based in
Europe. There was the usual reorganizing, employees were afraid of the change,
which I think is normal, and as someone else stated succinctly, "saluting a new
flag" was strange. But after a period of adjustment we realized it was going to
be OK.

Last year, after the events of September 11 it really dawned on us just how
lucky we are. Being in the travel distribution industry, we were badly shaken.
But being a subsidiary of a global company meant that we could pick ourselves
up, dust ourselves off, and get back in the saddle a lot quicker than our
competitors. My point is that you can't really predict how things will pan out
so the best advice is to have a plan B, because even when you've done your
research and you think you know what to expect something will invariably
surprise you.
Rhina

This email message and information contained in or attached to this message
may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure and is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient any retransmission, dissemination, printing or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited.
If you received this message in error, please immediately inform the sender by
reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. This footnote also
confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the
presence of computer viruses. Thank you.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com