Re: Job hunting in Canada

Subject: Re: Job hunting in Canada
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:55:10 -0700

Dave wrote:

The first and most obvious thing I can think of is demonstrating the ability
to put the letter "u" in words in which it belongs.

I don't know if Canadians outside of academe hold to one particular manual
for usage or not...suggestions from the list?

Even inside academia, use varies. Most Canadians routinely use "labour" and "labor"; "center" and "centre" and other spelling variants as needed or as the mood strikes them. Those who write for an American audience, for example, don't think twice about using American spelling.

So far as I'm concerned, anybody who believes that cultural or national identity is somehow connected to spelling has too much free time.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"The world is crawling with the faithful,
Wide-eyed and gamblers to the core;
Johnny gets burned, he lights another candle -
We do not do that any more."
-Oysterband, "Gamblers"

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com