Re: FW: Interesting article on CBT

Subject: Re: FW: Interesting article on CBT
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:44:02 -0700

Pat Anderson wrote:

Is this truly the case? I'm trying to mesh this statement with Macromedia's
claim on its front web page: "Over 97.8% of all web users have the
Macromedia Flash Player. "

In my experience, a good many sysadmins try to keep plug-ins off corporate desktops. Not only are plug-ins simply one more thing to worry about, but to make use of them requires a few more openings in a firewall.

And, of course, no matter how useful they might be on your own time, most plug-ins aren't necessary for most work. Exceptions might be artists or someone doing research on the web, but, from the management viewpoint, plug-ins simply help employees to waste time more efficiently.

I think that Macromedia's estimate must be a comparison of downloads to the estimated number of computers in the world.This sort of estimate should be viewed with extreme skepticism. Not only does it not take into account multiple downloads, but I strongly doubt that the estimate could be accurate within several percent, let alone to one decimal point.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I would be wise, but that I often see
The fox suspected whilst the ass goes free"
-Sir Walter Raleigh, "A Farewell to the Vanities of the World"

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com