Re: FW: Interesting article on CBT

Subject: Re: FW: Interesting article on CBT
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:38:08 +0200

>I think that Macromedia's estimate must be a comparison of downloads to
>the estimated number of computers in the world.This sort of estimate
>should be viewed with extreme skepticism. Not only does it not take into
>account multiple downloads, but I strongly doubt that the estimate could
>be accurate within several percent, let alone to one decimal point.

The number given by Macromedia is said to have been found by a study that
examined a 'representative' selection of Internet computers. Some details
can be found on Macromedia's website.

Given how vague the knowledge of the number and composition of Internet
users is, any claim to have created a representative sample should be
viewed with a large degree of scepticism. Consequently, any number
derived from studying such a sample is likewise suspect.

I would view the "97.8%" more as a marketing exercise than a useful
study. (Also note that this is a sum of all versions of Flash, not just
the latest one.)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com