RE: Documenting field descriptions in printed documentation

Subject: RE: Documenting field descriptions in printed documentation
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:19:43 -0500

> The simplest way (IMO) to resolve style issues is to select ONE person to
be your
> team's style nazi. That person's rule should be absolute. Do what they
> say, and don't argue. Shut up and write.

Ugh... I see your point, Keith, but when I think about going that route in
practice: well, even the most well-intentioned style nazi is going to make
some dumb decisions based on emotional reactions.

What we do in my workplace, if there is disagreement over a style, is sort
of like a court case. If Writer A and Writer B disagree over a style issue,
both A and B must come up with a list of (objective) advantages their choice
has, and what (objective) disadvantages the other writer's choice has. We
have a meeting, and each writer has some period of time to "make their
case." After both cases are made, we allow for a short "rebuttal" period,
and then the boss just makes a call, given what he/she has just heard.

The key, to not waste time, is to allow a certain fixed amount of time for
this. Usually like 2 or 3 minutes each to make the case, a minute or so to
rebut, and then the decision is made. This process allows us to steer clear
of lame style decisions, like, "because this is how I did it at my old job."
I actually had a writer use that as the SOLE reason to go with a particular
style. Ugh.

YMMV, of course. I happen to have a very objective boss, so it works well
in my situation.

Chris Grant

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com