RE: Documenting field descriptions in printed documentation

Subject: RE: Documenting field descriptions in printed documentation
From: "Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646)" <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:17:39 -0700

Alyssa Fox wrote:

> Following are some of the ways each of us
> documents the field descriptions now:

> 1. Create a single step that says "Complete the following fields" then have
> a table with the field names and the descriptions in it so all field names
> are contained in one step.

The only caveat I would have about recommending this option rests with the interface. Some interfaces I have documented have required the user to complete some of the fields, then do something (push a button, chose a menu option, etc.), then field names on the window change, etc. For some complicated interfaces, this option may not work as well. Otherwise, it is quite elegant.

Rosie

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com