RE: Is this feasible with web, XML and Frame7?

Subject: RE: Is this feasible with web, XML and Frame7?
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:42:32 -0400

John,

Sounds like a fun project, with a lower-case P. Only one question, why not use a database to store the forms? You said there are 200 or so of them, and it appears as thought there is lots of overlapping, regular information.

You can still build a web-based front end, but instead of generating an email, have it add a record to the database. You can use this same front end to edit the content yourself.

When all is said and done, do your queries against the database and have the output be XML, MIF or whatever is easiest for you to then insert into the Frame file. This way you can also use the db to generate as-yet-unknown formats -- say for web delivery, or PDF, or images, whatever.

If the engineers make late-cycle changes that affect a bunch of forms, you can do multiple updates with some simple SQL.

I guess my personal take is that I would avoid the one-off nature of copy/pasting email content into Frame.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >