Drafts -- some people not clear on the concept...

Subject: Drafts -- some people not clear on the concept...
From: Steven Oppenheimer <writer -at- writemaster -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:43:13 -0700

All I want to say, in brief reply to the comments below, is that I have repeatedly found that many people just don't get the concept of a draft. It irritates the hell out of me, and unlike "Doc", the second poster below, I am not sympathetic to the fact that these anal-retentive citizens may have nothing better to do with their weekends than nit-pick rough drafts.

There must be some personality type (or types) on the Myers-Briggs schema that simply cannot grasp, cannot appreciate that some things (documents, songs, rough cuts of films) come in rough, provisional form, and are simply preliminary expressions of initial stream-of-consciousness creativity. These same people also don't seem to grasp that flaws can be easily, quickly fixed with simple editing ("Ooh, aah, look it's a WORD PROCESSOR with CUT and PASTE and DELETE and INSERT!" "A what? What millenium are we living in?...."). These people, with these personality types, should be banned from all management positions. Or, at the very least, they should be barred by law from looking at anything until it's in at least its third draft.

Steve Oppenheimer
Marketing and Technical Writing
writer -at- writemaster -dot- com
www.writemaster.com

"Anonymous" <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote in message news:167486 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot- > Background: I ask because over the holiday weekend, my boss pulled a rough
> draft from my cube that I had printed on Friday (for my own review when I
> returned on Wednesday), and went through it. Of course there were many
> errors. I was shocked to walk in this morning and be confronted about
> this. Moreover, this individual began to question my editing skills, and
> said that my rough draft was too 'rough'. We were not pressed for a
> deadline, and I cannot help but feel set up.

It is always important to widen your focus and look at the people involved.
It is a holiday weekend. Gaiety and laughter are abounding. But in a small
dark corner of the garden sits a lonely person. No one is dancing for them.
No one refills their plate with potato salad and short ribs.
Revolted by the effervescence and joy, in which they cannot share, from
which they have been thoughtlessly and callously excluded, they quietly make
their way back to the only place they feel at home ... the office.
... and they find a gift, something to keep their mind off their pitiful,
insulated existence, a draft. Even better it is a rough draft, laden with
errors and other flaws.
Oh joy! I can be of value! They cry. I shall edit and critique this work so
stringently that it will be obvious to all that my life is worthwhile.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com