More on drafts --

Subject: More on drafts --
From: Steven Oppenheimer <writer -at- writemaster -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:17:24 -0700

"Either it's a finished document, or it's a solid draft, or it's an outline, or it's not technical writing. "
from Bill Swallow, below...

Man oh man, do I respectfully but strongly disagree with Mr. Swallow. Actually, I'm at the point of getting out of technical writing, and getting into marketing writing, in part because of too many managers with that point of view. I think the view expressed above stifles creativity, and prevents good writers from doing their best work.

Here's the scoop: Some people work from the top down, researching, doing an outline, then filling in detailed information. But many very talented technical writers -- and I know, because I am one of them -- work from the bottom up. I gather information, start writing, cobbling together a document in bits and pieces, rearranging and reorganizing as I gather more information. For me, for the way I write, a document grows organically as the needs of both the technology and user become more and more apparent the longer I develope the document. The INTERMEDIATE result is a document whose early appearances are rough and sloppy, with big gaping holes, but it grows in the END into something complete, ordered, elegant, structured, and eminently accessible. One of the wonderful things about the modern word-processing technology (and online help technology) is that it facilitates this kind of organic development of a document, because cut and paste make it so easy to move things around.

I'm not knocking the first way of doing things, apparently it works well for some people. But when managers grab a rough cut of a document off my desk before I tell them it's ready to be looked at -- well, if they're not happy, it's their own damn fault and not mine. My clients who are patient enough to wait until I say I have something to show them have invariably been pleased.

I think the important thing to remember is that, unlike computer code, which is ultimately meant to be consumed by a machine -- and therefore can be engineered -- technical documentation is still meant to be consumed by humans. Creating effective technical documentation is not a technical discipline, it's an empathic art of stepping into the users shoes. Effective communication, including technical communication, requires artistry, not methodology. (Well, okay, maybe there is some room for method and technique; but I fully mean it when I say that technique without intuition is absolutely useless, while intuition without formal technique can still carry you very, very far.) It's the failure of the technical writing community-at-large to appreciate this which is, once again, leading me to leave tech writing for other domains with more breathing room.

That said, I remain available for technical documenation work for now (till I'm more established in marketing), and FYI I not only write very well, I have an excellent grasp of technology itself (e.g., I can program in several languages, have studied physics, etc.). Resume is available at the web site indicated below, and yes, I am looking for freelance work.

Sincerely,
Steve Oppenheimer
writer -at- SPAMPROTECTwritemaster -dot- com
www.writemaster.com

P.S. One footnote. Writing the way I do doesn't work well with single-sourcing. But then, that's another grievance I have with the recent development of tech writing, that two different kinds of documents (online and printed) with wholly different structural and content requirements, are supposed to be developed from the same source text, just to save money. Grrrrr.....

Subject: RE: Drafts -- some people not clear on the concept...
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 01:23:21 -0400
================
::: There must be some personality type (or types) on the Myers-Briggs schema that simply cannot grasp, cannot appreciate that some things (documents, songs, rough cuts of films) come in rough, provisional form, and are simply preliminary expressions of initial stream-of-consciousness creativity. These people, with these personality types, should be banned from all management positions. Or,
at the very least, they should be barred by law from looking at anything until it's in at least its third draft.
I'll agree that people should understand the difference between draft and release copy, but I disagree with what you have stated above. Technical writing (IMO) is not a stream of consciousness endeavor; there should very little room for creative expressions as far as content is concerned. Managers who cite problems with this type of "technical writing" should be encouraged to do so and should be applauded. As a technical writer, I do not work to entertain. I work to provide need to know info to those who need to know. My definition of a draft is a document that contains the required technical/ procedural data but has not been proofed by SMEs/QA for accuracy.

I can agree that some managers need to learn how to approach conflict with tact (as do most people). I can agree that the creation of a draft is a "necessary evil". But, and again this is IMO, the definition of
draft in technical writing is pretty narrow; either the content is there or it isn't, and it's either accurate or it isn't. And, it's either factual or it's not technical writing. Given all this, I'd throw a red flag if I saw a "draft" of a technical document displaying what appears to be "preliminary expressions of initial stream-of-consciousness creativity" regardless fo rank/position. Either it's a finished document, or it's a solid draft, or it's an outline, or it's not technical writing. (Hmmm, that should keep the list server warm for quite some time. *lol*)

B I L L S W A L L O W, wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com