Reducing file size in a PowerPoint presentation

Subject: Reducing file size in a PowerPoint presentation
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:33:14 -0700

Hi All,

A coworker has asked me to help him reduce the file size on a big Powerpoint presentation he made. I searched the archives and the MS knowledge base, and I found some tidbits of info, but I thought I'd troll for more. :)

So far, what I've gathered from the archives and from extrapolating what I know about Word:

- Make sure your common graphics are on the master slide.

- Try starting up a fresh presentation, then inserting the info into new slides (I guess this is the ppt version of "maggie-ing")

- It seems like inserting slides from one presentation into another really bloats the file size

What I'm looking for, in addition to any more tips you all might have, is an explanation of why these tricks work. I feel like I'm practicing alchemy, meticulously gathering bits of myth and lore. I'd rather have a more systematic approach :).

Any help you guys can offer would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Eva

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com