Re: Reducing file size in a PowerPoint presentation

Subject: Re: Reducing file size in a PowerPoint presentation
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:28:21 -0400

Barnett, Eva wrote:

Hi All,

A coworker has asked me to help him reduce the file size on a big Powerpoint presentation he made. I searched the archives and the MS knowledge base, and I found some tidbits of info, but I thought I'd troll for more. :)

So far, what I've gathered from the archives and from extrapolating what I know about Word:

- Make sure your common graphics are on the master slide.

Okay, that works because you are only storing one copy of the graphic. But you knew that one, didn't you?

- Try starting up a fresh presentation, then inserting the info into new slides (I guess this is the ppt version of "maggie-ing")

That's a bit surprising, unless the original author pasted a Word doc into the PPT to create the initial outline.

- It seems like inserting slides from one presentation into another really bloats the file size

I'd be surprised if that's true, as well. But I generally work in a single template, so dragging slides from one presentation to another doesn't have much effect. Maybe if the templates are disparate and there are a lot of manual overrides, this is a problem.

What I'm looking for, in addition to any more tips you all might have, is an explanation of why these tricks work. I feel like I'm practicing alchemy, meticulously gathering bits of myth and lore. I'd rather have a more systematic approach :).

Okay, here's my biggest tip. Don't resize big images in PowerPoint. Scale them in an image program (Microsoft Photo Editor works fine for this) and knock the resolution down to something reasonable before bringing them into PowerPoint. That's going to save you a lot of bloat if you have to deal with even a modest number of images. Use JPEG in preference to TIFF, too. (I'm not talking about screen caps; I'm talking about photographs.)

Good luck,

Dick

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com