RE: perils of job hunting

Subject: RE: perils of job hunting
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:50:05 -0400

>Am I mistaken in thinking that this recruiter terribly
>overreacted? I mean, I did not sign a contract. She

Take comfort in that one day, you can get revenge. Case in point:

Several gigs ago, I was working with a recruiter for a position that was
about 10 minutes from my house. it was a telecom company (starts with L) and
the agency told me that because I didn't have solid FM experience, I'd have
to go in at the low end of the pay scale.

No biggee...having come from a telecom, I thought I knew what they were
like...I asked him if I'd be able to make it up in OT. "Sure...they have all
the OT you can handle." This is on a Fri morning.

cool. The Friday afternoon, the client calls me up for a few questions...I
still haven't been awarded the job. I answer the questions, then happen to
mention about the OT. "What? We have no OT...it's policy and the agency
knows."

I call the agency and ask to have him pull my name from contention, and told
him why. BAM...hangs up the phone without a word.

A year later, I get a call from the same agency, different recruiter. "Got a
great job...you're perfect...yada, yada, yada." I ask the recruiter..."Does
Bill still work with your agency?"

Yeah, sure does...

OK, tell your management that I refuse to work with your agency because of
the sleezeballs working for him. Thanks for your time and please remove me
from your call list (this was when their list of available was very short).
Thanks for your time."

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
"Be accurate...the 4am wakeup call you prevent could be your manager's"

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com