Re: Linux users who like Windows

Subject: Re: Linux users who like Windows
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:28:53 -0700

Steven Oppenheimer wrote:

I think (hope!?) that corporations are going to get wise, and start making Linux their primary operating system.

You make a good point. I was restricting the discussion strictly to the software itself, but licensing issues are another strong reason for looking at Linux.

One of the more interesting trends in the last six months is the adaption of Linux by governments concerned about licensing.Parts of the German,French, and Indian governments have switched to Linux, and a number of others are investigating the matter, including Norway, Peru, Venezeula, and Malaysia

Governments have two reasons for the interest.
First, there is a growing concern about government work being dependent on a monopoly, both in general and specifically because it means less access for those who don't have or can't afford the software from the monopolist.

Second, a large number of poorer nations find the cost of licensing prohibitively expensive, and would prefer not to rely on pirated software.

On the whole, these developments haven't reached North America, although there is a small California initiative underway. But, elsewhere, Microsoft is doing all it can to combat them.

When that happens, applications like Quicken and FrameMaker and RoboHelp will quickly port to Linux, we'll all move over the Star Office,

Well, not RoboHelp. I doubt that anyone is going to port a tool for Windows Help files to another operating system.

and then Microsoft might reconsider their policies.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next release of MS Office. With the new competition from StarOffice and OpenOffice, I think it's possible that some long broken features, such as autonumbering and master documents may finally get an overhaul.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Looking back at the long years
All that happened this way and that
I think I liked most the rice and the salt."
- Kim Stanley Robinson, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com