Re: Linux users who like Wiindows (was: Drafts and the larger leadership picture)

Subject: Re: Linux users who like Wiindows (was: Drafts and the larger leadership picture)
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:53:07 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> But don't assume that,because some people have chosen Linux, they
> necessarily believe that you should. That's as false as the idea that
> those of us who have chosen Linux are handicapping ourselves in some way.

Bruce, While I will not get into a tool war, I disagree with your
implication that Linux users are not handicapping themselves. I am in
the camp that is experimenting with Linux. My prime use is for school
projects. It's biggest limitation for me has been the lack of
applications, including, accounting programs and adequate speech to text
applications. (Yes, I am aware of VV for Linux, which is slow and
inaccurate and lacks command and control functionality.) Also, I don't
want to spend hours of time finding and compiling continual updates,
free or not. I have also found inconsistencies in its handling of my
Windows partition. In summary it has great potential, fulfills needs of
many people, but is still not quite ready for prime time.

--
Peter
- a chrono- logically experienced citizen

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com