Re: Linux users who like Wiindows (was: Drafts and the larger leadership picture)

Subject: Re: Linux users who like Wiindows (was: Drafts and the larger leadership picture)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:17:23 -0700

Peter wrote:

Bruce, While I will not get into a tool war, I disagree with your
implication that Linux users are not handicapping themselves.

I was talking in terms of basic tools for writing and general office productivity. For individual needs, there may be gaps. However, the reverse is also true; I've found tools in Linux that don't have Windows equivalents.

Also, I don't
want to spend hours of time finding and compiling continual updates,
free or not.

You only have to compile updates if you want the latest updates the moment that they're released. If you wait until they're put into the proper package format, the process is a matter of minutes, not hours. If you're using Debian,you don't even have to stop your other work while you update.

I have also found inconsistencies in its handling of my
Windows partition.

I'm rather curious about what problems you've had. I've been using Linux systems with FAT32 support compiled in the kernel so I can use files on my Windows partitions for almost four years, and never had the least problem. But perhaps we should discuss this off-list?

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And it takes a stranger to understand,
What the wind says in a strange land,
And the wind says, "This year, next year ..."
-OysterBand

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com