Re: Viva le Same! Linux

Subject: Re: Viva le Same! Linux
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:09:04 -0700

Andrew Plato wrote:

Security is not at all limited to servers. Security is a comprhensive problem
that affects everything, servers, routers, firewalls, desktops, personnel, etc.

I was too concise in my statement. What I meant to convey was that security is more important on networks and servers. On a stand-alone desktop,you just might get away with not having any security features installed; it's not advisable, but, despite all the media scares, the odds are in your favor that you won't be cracked. However, no one with any sense is going to gamble that way on a larger system.Thus, with a lot of the server market share,there's been a lot of deployment and testing of Linux security software.

But, of course, you're right. To be secure, you have to think about individual desktops, too. I've seen a lot of places where even simple password security is incredibly lax.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And it takes a stranger to understand,
What the wind says in a strange land,
And the wind says, "This year, next year ..."
-OysterBand

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com