Re: How to keep going once the honeymoon's over ....

Subject: Re: How to keep going once the honeymoon's over ....
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:57:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- lpurcell -at- utk -dot- edu wrote:

> I've been writing for a company for about 6 months
> now, and am running
> into the biggest snag yet ...
> I am working to create a user's manual for a new
> piece of machinery that
> has no documentation and no one who wants to be
> responsible for explaining
> the machine to me. However, I just handed in a
> rough draft last week and
> heard back today that I have a month to revise it.

Of course a rough draft needs revision. You did the
best you could with inadequate input. That's not the
same as being awful, but it does mean revision is
required.

> Fine, but I have
> gotten no feedback! I guess I'm just not sure where
> to begin, when told
> "this is awful, do it again" but am not sure what's
> awful and where.

Did they actually say it's awful, or just that it's
incomplete? Either way, now you can say "Yes, it's
awful, because it's full of holes. Help me get what I
need to fill them in and it will be fabulous." A
couple of people have already suggested how to have
that conversation and I love John Posada's reply. :)

And they gave you a month? Way cool!

Maggie Secara

http://sbc.yahoo.com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com