Re: Having a killer resume

Subject: Re: Having a killer resume
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:26:26 -0600

I've never been dazzled by the mental prowess of the HR personnel I've
encountered throughout my career. So I think it's important to include
SOMETHING at the top of the resume that makes it clear what you DO (or
WANT to do). Use an Objective statement, or a Summary of Skills, but give
them SOMETHING.

When applying for a specific advertised opportunity, it is no coincidence
that my "objectives" or "summary of skills" are basically identical to the
requirements of the job being advertised - I tailor my resume to each
opportunity as much as possible.

Also, I include a *title* next to my name, such as "Keith Cronin,
Technical Writer" or "Keith Cronin, Sig Line Writer to the Stars" or
whatever, again basing it on the job title and requirements of the
opportunity being advertised.

I want to give those cute, perky HR types as much hand-holding as
possible. They may not know what single-sourcing or infomapping is, but
they should be able to understand the bold print where I make it clear
that *I write stuff*.

Keith Cronin

Note to Matthew: If a discussion on resumes isn't pertinent to this list -
at a time when a disturbingly high percentage of its members are either
out of work or on shaky ground - then I don't know what is. Enjoy your
stability, and put a bandaid on that Delete finger. I couln't tell - was
it the middle one?

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com