Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:16:30 -0700

JayWright wrote:

My current plan of action is to join STC and get involved with some of the
SIGs in hopes of meeting people and making some contacts and hopefully
getting some work from there. I figure I will likely volunteer to help on a
few projects at first to build up a portfolio and prove my value. Does
anyone have comments/suggestions on this plan of action?

Well, you shouldn't ignore any chance to network. Still, the STC is a relatively poor place to network. In my experience, its meetings tend to attract a majority of newcomers to the field - and relatively few with hiring authority. In other words, many attendees are likely to be in the same position that you are. You may hear of possible openings,but so will a lot of other people.

The best reason to belong to the STC is for the socialization. If you're new to tech-writing, then you may enjoy the comfort of being with others in the field, and talking to others facing similar situations to your own.

Just don't expect any great outpouring of job leads. If you find any, consider them lagniappe.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And it takes a stranger to understand,
What the wind says in a strange land,
And the wind says, "This year, next year ..."
-OysterBand

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com