RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: "Andrew Dugas" <dugas -at- intalio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:49:11 -0700

Search the archives for a posting by Andrew Plato about what it takes to set
up an independent/contractor tech writing business. He had lots of good
advice and covered a lot of the nastier details that might be omitted in a
generic go-for-it type of response.

I also recommend checking the book shelf for books by Bob Bly, who has
authored some titles than can give you a better idea of what kind of writing
you can get paid for (tech, marcom, etc.) and what you can expect.

I have nothing to add to the advice you've already received about the STC.

IMO, you're setting your marks very high. Not to discourage you, but be
aware of the following points:

* While tech writing is ideal for a home-based business, it is more common
for a contractor to work at least part time at the client site. If you plan
to work 100% at home, you'd be eliminating a large percentage of the work
that's out there.

* The TW pickings are pretty slim these days, contract or otherwise. It may
be a good time to get set up for when things pick up again but only if you
the resources to invest and live off of.

* Most work-at-home types are writers of many years experience who have
built up a clientele in the process of gaining that experience. IME, most
work-at-home writers were also full-time employees before making the move to
independence; some use a layoff as a opp to go independent.

* A lot of work-at-home writers are actually full-time employees that
tele-commute. I work at home 2-3 days a week. I actually look forward to
coming in to the office so I can get face time with the engineers. Of
course, I am able to work at home because the company has an enlightened
approach to it (some guys actually moved to Europe and telecommute from
there!) AND I am good at what and have a deep understanding of the product
and the underlying technology.

In many cases, you seem to be asking to be the exception to the rule. That
doesn't mean it isn't doable but you need to be aware of the sort of
challenges you are facing.

Of course you can succeed. But you're ability to do so will depend on your
skill set, experience, knowledge, and your ability to market yourself and
convince potential clients that you bring more value to the table than your
competitors.

Good luck.

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com