Fonts and stuff?

Subject: Fonts and stuff?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:07:40 -0400

Daniel Gallagher reports: <<But there's way more software available for the
Mac for what I do.>>

Now there's a line you don't hear everyday. <g> Speaking as a Mac evangelist
for 15+ years...

<<My problem is, now that I've transferred the files to the mac, and bring
up a manual, it says a bunch of fonts are missing. Can I copy the fonts from
the Dell to the Mac?>>

Nope. Mac and PC fonts are coded slightly differently, even if they appear
identical on the printed page, and one operating system generally won't
recognize fonts from the other system; one of the few predictable ways to
crash a Mac is to send a Word file with TrueType fonts embedded. You
mentioned that the documents are suffering from font overload, which
suggests to me that you should probably consider streamlining the fonts
drastically and focusing on a smaller set of fonts that are used on both
platforms.

I believe that OpenType fonts will resolve this problem once and for all,
but these fonts are still relatively rare and poorly supported on both
platforms. (To be more specific, you can use the fonts on both computers,
but the application software doesn't support many of their cool features and
getting at the special characters may sometimes be difficult.)

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com