WinHelp 4 and strange line breaks?

Subject: WinHelp 4 and strange line breaks?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:36:20 -0400

I'm just putting the final touches on a couple of WinHelp files, and things
are going pretty well except for a small problem with the French help file.
In French, as you might know, you'll see lots of apostrophes (e.g.,
l'apostrophe), and for some reason these are being treated as equivalent to
hyphens: when the help window is resized to precisely the wrong size, the
text wraps after the apostrophe, leaving (in my example) l' on one line and
the word "apostrophe" on the next line.

Same problem is occurring with French quotes (<< followed by a space and >>
preceded by a space, only with the actual chevron characters rather than
greater than and less than signs). I suppose I could always drop the space
between the quotes and the word, but that's not correct French typography.

Are these problems inherent to WinHelp 4 and thus unsolvable, or is there a
relatively simple fix that will keep the article (l') and the quotes
together with the text they are tied to? (Please note: I'm not willing to
set a fixed window width and manually break lines to fit that width; I want
the help windows to be wholly under the control of the user, since they're
the ones who must juggle the help and application windows, not me.)

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com